When Your Good Dog Gets Stung

Health

bee sting

With the hot months here there are all kinds of insects about. We dogs are curious about little creepy crawlies. For the most part, it’s harmless fun but sometimes we get too close to a nasty. A bee or wasp sting can be a rather painful lesson on what to avoid.

Most of the time dogs get stung on their faces from investigating a stinging insect too closely. A sting on the nose is particularly painful. Some dogs may even get stung on the tongue or inside their mouth or throat if they try to bite or catch an insect. These stings can be dangerous. The subsequent swelling can close your dog’s throat & block the airway. If your dog has been stung in the mouth, you should get to the vet as soon as possible.

Like people, some dogs can have a serious allergic reaction to a sting. Anaphylaxis is a severe, life threatening allergic reaction that can occur very quickly. The speed of treatment can make all the difference. If you notice any difficulty in breathing or a lot of swelling, you need to get to your vet or pet emergency immediately.

For the most part, a sting can be left alone. If your dog allows it, you can put ice on the area to reduce swelling. A mixture of baking soda & water can be soothing. Dark, wet mud can act as a neutralizer to the poison if applied directly. Within a few hours, the swelling & pain should subside but the area may remain tender for a few days.

Play safe this summer.

CEO Olivia ❤

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s